Homeowners considering putting a Silicon Valley home on the market know that some work on the interior will be necessary. At the very least, deep cleaning and repainting should be done. Don’t forget the exterior either. Many people in the Silicon Valley real estate market want to take advantage of the area’s lovely weather and spend time outdoors as much as possible. Families with children will especially value a nice backyard where kids can play safely. Here are our top five suggestions to improve the exterior of your Silicon Valley home.
1. Attractive, low maintenance landscaping, with bonus points for drought-resistance. Drought-friendly landscaping has come a long way in the past few years, and there are so many choices. Succulents, native grasses, and California wildflowers can combine to create an outdoor retreat that doesn’t require too much work or water.
2. Built-in seating. A new patio set can make the outdoors look inviting, but permanent seating will add value to a buyer.
Add Value to Silicon Valley Real Estate With Outdoor Upgrades
3. Shade protection. Patio coverings, whether traditional wooden ones or newer shades, will make an outdoor space comfortable even when the weather is a bit hot.
4. Outdoor kitchen. You can go all-out with an oven, stove, sink, and fridge or keep it simple with a barbecue or firepit. This will also increase the value and usability of the backyard.
5. Nice lighting and privacy. Light up the exterior of your home with fixtures designed to withstand the elements. This will help extend summer parties and also adds a level of security. Shades or strategically placed walls help give a feeling of security and privacy, too, and also make the outdoor space more clearly an extension of the house.